DLI Downloader 0.24 - Available on all major platforms
INTRODUCTION: DLI Downloader is a comprehensive software suite for Windows, Linux, OS X and other major platforms, for downloading scanned books from the
Digital Library of India based at the IISc, Bangalore, and from its mirror at the IUCAA, Pune. It is made by PR Labs and provided free of charge. DLI Downloader comes with two built-in catalogs,
Sanskrit Books 1 and
Sanskrit Books 2, listing the availability of scans of about 13,000 Sanskrit books at the DLI IISc site, and at the former DLI site at IIIT, Hyderabad, whose books are now being moved to the DLI IISc site. A language-wise catalog of about 200,000 non-Sanskrit books can be found online
here. These catalogs make a number of corrections to the DLI database by fixing classification and transliteration errors, removing broken links for many books and validating incomplete entries. The DLI is an extraordinary and laudable project and is a great gift to all interested readers and scholars. We hope that the free software provided here by PR Labs will continue to assist all readers immensely. The current version is DLID 0.24. The download links are
A Message from PR Labs: "We thank the thousands of DLID 0.2x users worldwide. We encourage you to try to support our team and partners as well as the DLI in whatever ways you can. As it represents the heritage of a great land and people in some form, never abuse the DLI. We hope our small works here, enrich your lives in a small way, and also spur you to your own, even greater good works."
INSTRUCTIONS AND INSTALLATION:
The DLI Downloader 0.24 installers AND the DLI Downloader 0.23 installers for all platforms can be downloaded below. DLID 0.24 is an upgrade for DLID-Lite and DLID-Toy based mainly on feedback from users whereas, DLID 0.23 was a major release and included all 9 versions. If you have not used DLI Downloader before, before installing DLID 0.24, please go over the DLID 0.23 summary and the detailed installation instructions below.
- Changes in DLI Downloader 0.24: DLID 0.24 includes only DLID Lite for Windows and Linux, and DLID Toy version for OS X and for all platforms with Java Web Start. The main difference between DLID 0.24 and DLID 0.23 is that, DLID 0.24 is more fault-tolerant and can cope better with difficult network conditions. If you are having repeated problems getting books with DLID 0.23, you must upgrade to DLID 0.24. Otherwise, you need not. The DLID 0.24 installers are immediately below. Scroll down further if you need DLID 0.23.
- DLI Downloader 0.24 Lite: The DLID 0.24 Lite version is now the recommended version. Its network engine is much more tolerant of problems like slow connections and problems at the DLI end. It retains the explicit proxy configuration and all other features of DLID 0.23, and works on all Windows releases from Windows XP to Windows 8 and on most Linux distributions.
- DLI Downloader 0.24 Toy: This version is for OS X users and for users on all platforms who have Java with Web Start enabled. It too has more fault tolerance for server issues while retaining all other features of the DLID 0.23 Toy version. You can find specific DLID 0.24 Toy Installation Instructions
The DLI Downloader 0.23 installers for all platforms can be downloaded below. Some information on how to choose the right installer from the Complete, Lite and Toy versions is given below. For fuller information on the different versions,
- DLI Downloader 0.23 Complete: This version includes ALL the features like an adaptive network engine, advanced DLI site error diagnostics and recovery, resumption of failed downloads, persistent user preferences, multiple modes etc., excepting support for proxies. The installer comes in 3 kinds- Main windows Installer, Alternative Windows Installer and Linux installer. On Windows, you can use the main installer, or, if you are not allowed to download application (exe) files due to security policies in your systems, you can use the alternate installer. It wraps the application file into an archive.
- DLI Downloader 0.23 Lite: This is the recommended version of DLID 0.23. It introduces explicit proxy configuration and is also a slimmer install, making it more suitable for users moving from Windows Vista or 7 to Windows 8. Also, if you are having persistent errors of any sort with the Complete version, you should switch to the Lite version. It has all the main features of the Complete version, but for resumption, persistent user preferences and an adaptive network engine. It also has less detailed error diagnostics. Like the Complete version, this too come with three kinds of installers.
- DLI Downloader Toy: This version is intended for OS X users and for users on ALL platforms who have Java with Web Start enabled. It has the minimum features for getting books and status and performs like the SAFE mode of the other two versions. It doesn't have built-in catalogs. So, you must use the the online catalogs
Sanskrit Books 1 and
Sanskrit Books 2 and
Books in other languages.
This document gives installation instructions for ALL versions. It is a "must read". Note that this is not the User Manual. The actual manual and an FAQ are installed on your computer with the software and are both comprehensive. The
online FAQ is more current and regularly updated.
The current version is 0.24 and 0.23 is the last major or complete release.. DLID 0.24 mainly includes features to cope with slow network speeds and problems at the DLI's end. DLID 0.23 includes many improvements including support for the new IUCAA mirror, faster downloads and better rendering. It is not necessary to upgrade to DLID 0.24, unless you have repeated problems getting books. But, if you have DLID 0.21 Beta, DLID 0.21 Final or older versions, you must upgrade to DLID 0.24 or DLID 0.23.
Need a book URGENTLY but DLI or DLID 0.24 is not working? The makers MAY provide the book for you. See
these guidelines first and then contact them directly at dli.downloader[[at]]yahoo.com
User Manual and FAQ: To optimally use DLID 0.2x, be sure to read the user manual and the FAQ that are installed on your computer. Additionally, there are DLI Downloader Support sites at
www.dlidownloader.blogspot.com. You can subscribe there to be notified of patches, updates etc.The online FAQ page at either support site, e.g.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), is constantly updated and is more current than the version installed with your DLID 0.2x.
Asking for Support: First read the
Guidelines for asking for support for DLID 0.2x. Then you can email the makers directly at dli.downloader[[at]]yahoo.com
Virus warnings during download, install or getting books? Rest assured that DLID 0.23 is 100% clean. Here is a
CLEAN Virus Scan Report from VirusTotal.com for DLID 0.23 Complete. Also see the "virus" false positive information in the ReadMe file. Norton SONAR is the most likely objector. Note that DLID is indeed on Norton's whitelist. You can also validate the MD5 hash of your download: 158a7c0343527a5123d95e35d7a5f909
Uninstalling trouble? Download the "Help with uninstall" zipped
here and follow the instructions in the ReadMe.txt file in it, as relevant to your Windows version, whether Windows 8, Windows 7, XP or Vista and your word size, i.e. 64 bit or 32 bit versions.
Back to the Scanned Books section of the Sanskrit Documents site